Google Apps for Education (GAFE) is a suite of secure web-based and collaborative applications that includes Documents, Gmail, Calendar, and Sites. It allows students and teachers to work and learn together anytime, anywhere, and on any device. GAFE is hosted by Google, and is managed by Suffield Public Schools. When students log into their school google account, they are seamlessly connected to the GAFE suite of productivity and collaboration tools.
Google Docs is a cloud-based (online) suite of productivity and collaboration tools, that is compatible with the Microsoft Office suite and includes:
Google Docs (Word processing)
Allows students to create and format text documents and collaborate with other students and teachers in real time.
Google Sheets (Spreadsheet)
Lets students create and edit spreadsheets while on the internet and offline.
Google Slides (Presentations)
Enables students to create and edit presentations that they can share with other students and teachers.
Google Drive is the file storage system provided by Google for organization of Google Docs. Think of it as a digital locker and cloud storage for files. Drive stores, syncs, and shares your files on the cloud so you can access them anywhere you have Internet access.
- Cloud storage is safe and secure
- Only the assigned user student and / or teacher can access their data using their password.
- Google Drive data is stored in Google's highly secure data centers. You own your files and control who you share them with.
- Accessible from devices, such as PCs, Macs, iPads, Androids, tablets, phones, etc., with an Internet connection. No additional software is required.
- All the files are safe even if they lose or damage their device.
- Single documents or folders can be shared
- Invite other students and teachers to download, view, or edit the specific files you choose
- Sharing Levels
- View only: they can see the document, but they can't edit
- Comment only: they can see the document, and leave comments
- Edit: They can see, edit, and share the document
- Teachers and students can create shared folders, allowing students to turn in work electronically
- New Docs added to folders automaticallly inherit the sharing properties of the folders
- Documents can be added to multiple folders
- Upload a variety of document types
- Monitor collaboration through revision history
- Every change in a Google Document is saved. You are able to see every single version of document.
- You can see who and when the change was made, and revert back to a previous version.
GAFE Gmail is a custom e-mail application that has no ads, a large amount of storage, and a powerful search feature and is controlled by Suffield Public Schools IT department. Student email accounts can be accessed from any computer, phone, or tablet and can be used both online and offline.
Students and faculty can easily organize their schedule and assignment due dates. Allows for calendar sharing, invitations, search, and reminders.
Suffield High and Middle School students can obtain help and additional information from Suffield SWAT Support.