Suffield began the 1:1 digital learning environment at Suffield High School in 2014 and at Suffield Middle School in 2015. Students are issued a district Chromebook that will be used throughout their tenure at Suffield Public Schools.
The district provided Chromebook is the property of Suffield Public Schools. Students will be permitted to use the Chromebook outside of school and are required to adhere to the policies governing the use of technology.
Responsible Use Policy - PDF
This digital learning environment prepares students for the challenges of college and careers which requires the creation of dynamic learning environments that support creativity, collaboration, communication, and critical thinking. Each member of the faculty will determine how they will incorporate Chromebooks and Google G Suite into his or her curriculum.
Chromebook Care / Repair
It is expected that Chromebooks are kept in a case when not in use and that students only use their device when seated at a table or desk. This alone prevents numerous incidents. In addition, students often like to decorate their Chromebooks with stickers but that can be a challenge to remove and can often damage the casing. We ask that you take time to frequently inspect your student’s Chromebook to ensure that there is no damage and that it is in working order.
If a student does have to take their Chromebook to the media center for repair, we want to remind you that insurance only covers accidental damage, is limited to one screen repair per year, and does not include cracks, missing keys etc.
Some common fees are as follows:
- Sticker removal - We recommend not putting stickers on district owned devices - $10 (however if the stickers cause external damage and are not removable, the cost would be full replacement cost listed below)
- New Charger - $28 (First one covered by insurance)
- Battery - $60 (First one covered by insurance)
- Screen Replacement - $40 (First one covered by insurance)
- Trackpad $30 (First one covered by insurance)
- Missing Key - $10 a key (if replaceable; full keyboard is $40 - $150; first replacement key is covered by insurance; *does not include full keyboard replacement if caused by lack of care of the device)
- Full Chromebook Replacement due to External Cracks or Damage:
- Samsung Chromebook: $30
- Acer Chromebook: $50
- New HP Chromebook: $180
Computer Damage / Loss Cooperative Program letters for the upcoming school year are sent by early July.