Welcome to the Suffield Public Schools. We hope that you find our website to be an additional and important nexus between school and home. To further our communications with parents and the community, SchoolMessenger and our district Facebook page will also provide timely information about district happenings. We will be continuously updating the information on all of these forums, so please visit them often to remain current with Suffield Public Schools information and important events.
The Suffield Board of Education, faculty and staff, parents, and our surrounding community all recognize the importance of education and have therefore prioritized the needs of our school district. Each of our schools are very unique, with programs and services designed to meet the developmental and diverse needs of the students we serve. We hire the most talented faculty and staff, invest in research-based programs and services, and are always seeking new and innovative ways to fulfill our mission and goals.
This district’s long history of success is the result of the collaborative efforts of an entire community. The Suffield Public Schools are driven by a mission and set of core beliefs that are deeply rooted in our commitment to the academic, social, emotional, and physical well-being of our students. The mission of the Suffield Public Schools is to prepare all students with the knowledge, skills and attributes required for success in a rapidly changing world. In pursuit of this mission, we believe that:
- When we address students’ diverse academic, social, emotional and physical needs, all will learn;
- All students need equitable access to appropriate resources and opportunities to excel;
- Multiple measures of student learning are required to drive continuous improvement;
- Students and adults thrive in a safe and secure learning environment characterized by responsibility, fairness, respect, and civility;
- Highly effective teachers and instructional leaders who engage students in rigorous and challenging experiences are the keys to student success;
- An excellent district staff supports success in every classroom, facility and setting; and
- Partnerships, collaboration and communication with families and the community are vital to our mission is to prepare all students with the knowledge, skills and attributes required for success in a rapidly changing world.
Our commitment to our mission can be found throughout our four schools and the collaborative partnerships that further support and guide us into the future.
Once again, I welcome you to the Suffield Public Schools. The commitment our district has made and continues to make is evident in the many programs and services we offer our students and families. As we continue to build on our successes, we are always listening to the needs of those we are here to serve. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly or send your comments and questions via email. We look forward to hearing from you.
Timothy M. Van Tasel, Superintendent
Leadership Theory of Action - PDF
2020-2021 District Advancement Plan - PDF