5145.5 REG - 1. Elementary and Secondary - D. Welfare - (9) Civil & Legal Rights and Responsibilities - (h) Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment (Students)
Series 5000 – Students
1. Elementary and Secondary
(9) Civil & Legal Rights and Responsibilities
(h) Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment (Students)
It is the policy of the Board of Education that any form of sex discrimination or sexual harassment is forbidden, whether by students, district employees, board members, parents, vendors, contracted individuals, volunteers, or the public.
- It is the policy of the Board of Education to encourage victims of sex discrimination or sexual harassment to promptly report such claims. Timely reporting of complaints facilitates the investigation and resolution of such complaints.
- As soon as a student feels that he or she has been subjected to sex discrimination or sexual harassment, he/she should make a written complaint to the Title IX coordinator, guidance counselor, school psychologist, or to the building principal or his/her designee. The student will be provided a copy of the Board's policy and regulation and made aware of his or her rights.
- The complaint should state the:
- Name of the complainant,
- Date of the complaint,
- Date(s) of the alleged harassment/discrimination,
- Name(s) of the harasser(s) or discriminator(s),
- Location where such harassment/discrimination occurred,
- Names of any witness(es) to the harassment/discrimination, and
- Detailed statement of the circumstances constituting the alleged harassment/discrimination.
- Any student who makes an oral complaint of harassment or sex discrimination to any of the above-mentioned personnel will be provided a copy of this regulation and will be requested to make a written complaint pursuant to the above procedure. In appropriate circumstances, a parent or school administrator may be permitted to fill out the form on the student's behalf. However, the absence of a written complaint will not prevent the commencement of an investigation.
- If the complainant is a minor student, the person to whom the complaint is given should consider whether a child abuse report should be completed in accordance with Connecticut General Statutes Section 17a-101.
- All complaints are to be forwarded immediately to the Title IX Coordinator.
- Upon receipt of a sexual harassment or sex discrimination complaint, the Title IX Coordinator shall promptly commence an investigation of the complaint, or, if the Title IX Coordinator is the subject of the complaint, he/she shall designate a school administrator to investigate the complaint.
If after a thorough investigation, there is reasonable cause to believe that sexual harassment or sex discrimination has occurred, the district shall take appropriate corrective action in an effort to ensure that the harassment/discrimination ceases and will not recur.
- In conducting the investigation, the following guidelines shall be used:
- An investigation should be initiated within 48 hours from the receipt of the complaint.
- The Title IX Coordinator or designee shall consult with all individuals reasonably believed to have relevant information, including the complainant, the alleged harasser/discriminator and any witnesses to the conduct.
- The investigation shall be carried on discreetly, maintaining confidentiality insofar as possible while still conducting an effective and thorough investigation.
- In conducting the investigation, the Board's policy and its definitions of sexual harassment and sexual discrimination shall be reviewed and considered. In addition, although not an exhaustive list, the following are examples of the type of conduct prohibited by the policy as sexual harassment:
- Statements or other conduct indicating that a student's submission to, or rejection of, sexual overtures or advances will affect the student's grades and/or other academic progress.
- Unwelcome attention and/or advances of a sexual nature, including verbal comments, sexual invitations, leering and physical touching.
- Display of sexually suggestive objects, or use of sexually suggestive or obscene comments, invitations, letters, notes, slurs, jokes, pictures, cartoons, epithets or gestures.
- The investigation will be completed within five business days or a reasonable extension of time thereafter for good cause.
- A written report of the results of the investigation, including the conclusion of the investigation and any recommendations shall be prepared.
- The Title IX Coordinator or designee shall make a written report summarizing the results of the investigation and proposed disposition of the matter. Consistent with state and federal law and as deemed appropriate by the Title IX Coordinator or designee, the findings of the investigation shall be shared with appropriate persons involved in the investigation.
- If the student complainant is dissatisfied with the findings of the investigation, he or she may file a written appeal to the Superintendent of Schools, who shall review the Title IX Coordinator or designee's written report, the information collected by the Title IX Coordinator or designee together with the recommended disposition of the complaint to determine whether the alleged conduct constitutes sexual harassment or sex discrimination. The Superintendent of Schools may also investigate the complaint further. After completing this review, the Superintendent of Schools shall respond to the complainant, in writing, promptly. The determination of the Superintendent of Schools will be final.
Retaliation against any individual who complains pursuant to the Board's policy and regulations is strictly prohibited. The district will take actions necessary to prevent retaliation as a result of filing a complaint.
This regulation will be distributed to all students annually.
Title IX Coordinator
For the definition, name and contact information for the Title IX Coordinator see the district website.
||May 18, 2010
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
May 16, 2016
Download the PDF of this Policy
COMPLAINT FORM REGARDING SEX DISCRIMINATION
AND SEXUAL HARASSMENT (STUDENTS)
Name of the complainant ________________________________________________
Date of the complaint ______________________________________________________
Date of the alleged discrimination/harassment ______________________________
Name or names of the discriminator(s) or harasser(s) ______________________________________________________
Location where such discrimination/harassment occurred ______________________________________________________
Name(s) of any witness(es) to the discrimination/harassment. ______________________________________________________
Detailed statement of the circumstances constituting the alleged discrimination or harassment