5145.12 REG - 1. Elementary and Secondary - D. Welfare - (9) Civil & Legal Rights and Responsibilities - (a) Invasion of Privacy - (iii) Search and Seizure
Posted 07/01/2008 02:00PM
Series 5000 - Students
1. Elementary and Secondary
(9) Civil & Legal Rights and Responsibilities
(a) Invasion of Privacy
(iii) Search and Seizure
Administrative Implemental Procedures
- Only the principal or his/her designee shall be responsible for determining whether or not a search shall be conducted of a student’s person or personal property.
- When deemed appropriate, the principal should consider the proper involvement of the lawful custodian of the student.
- A second staff member shall be present during a search of either a student or a student’s personal property.
- The seizure or confiscation of items located in property in a student’s immediate possession and/or a student’s person shall be accomplished in the following manner:
- The seizure shall be witnessed by the student and a second staff member.
- The search shall be conducted as discretely as possible and in private.
- Each and every item seized must be identified and not co-mingled with other items previously or subsequently seized.
- The principal shall prepare a summary report identifying the item(s) confiscated. The report should include the facts upon which reasonable suspicion was based, where the search occurred, the reason for the seizure, who was present, time, and the disposition of the item(s).
- A copy of the summary report shall be given to the student and/or lawful custodian(s) of the student.
- Those items considered to be illegal, illicit, disruptive, or a general nuisance to the educational process may be seized by staff. Storage, return, or destruction of such items shall be at the discretion of the principal, subject only to legal impoundment.
||May 4, 1993
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
July 14, 2009
Download the PDF of this Policy