5136 - 1. Elementary and Secondary - C. Activities - (6) Foreign Students Attending Schools
Series 5000 - Students
1. Elementary and Secondary
(6) Foreign Students Attending Schools
The Suffield Public Schools recognize the value of foreign exchange programs for students. The unique opportunity to experience the culture of another country can be an effective and memorable learning experience for all students.
In order to insure that students coming into the Suffield school system from another country have a positive experience, the following guidelines have been developed:
- The decision to accept an exchange student into Suffield Public Schools shall rest with the building principal who will take into account such factors as space, appropriateness of placement, etc. The principal’s decision may be appealed to the superintendent.
- Advance notice must be provided to the school prior to the approval and finalization of arrangements to accept an exchange student. Students must be approved under federal guidelines published by SEVIS (Student Exchange Visa and Immigration Services).
- Agencies, groups and/or families sponsoring foreign students in Suffield should submit the student’s health and educational records to the school they would like the student to attend as early as possible. These records will be a factor in the decision regarding attendance.
- The name and telephone number of the sponsoring agency/representative must be on file in the school before the school year begins.
- All living arrangements for foreign students are the responsibility of the sponsoring agency and families. This includes changes in living arrangements after the student has arrived and throughout his/her stay. Neither the Suffield Board of Education nor any of its employees will assume responsibility in this area.
- Foreign students are subject to the same academic and behavioral standards as all other students while enrolled in Suffield schools.
- The district will provide the most appropriate program available for each foreign exchange student, but should not be expected to offer English As A Second Language services or to make special accommodations that would cause the school to exceed class sizes or teacher loads.
- It is understood that foreign students shall not be eligible for a Suffield High School diploma, but may be given a certificate of attendance for the period of time in Suffield and may participate in graduation ceremonies, if appropriate.
Suffield Students Participating in Foreign Exchange Programs
Any Suffield student planning to attend school in a foreign country as an exchange student, shall, prior to leaving, request permission from the school principal to have course work completed in the foreign country approved for transfer credit. The student must work closely with his/her guidance counselor to determine which courses are eligible for credit from the exchange school to the Suffield Public Schools. The principal of the Suffield school will make the final decision concerning credit transfers and the weight (if any) such courses hold in determining the grade point average.
Students who do not bring a transcript with them at the time they register for their courses upon their return, will resume their education at the grade level/graduation requirements status at which they were on at their departure.
||February 27, 2007
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Download the PDF of this Policy