5131.1 REG - 1. Elementary and Secondary - C. Activities - (1) Conduct - (a) Bus Conduct
Posted 01/01/2012 09:00AM
Series 5000 - Students
1. Elementary and Secondary
(a) Bus Conduct
The following list of rules are to be observed by all students riding school buses and are to be strictly enforced by all bus drivers:
- The driver is in complete charge of the bus and the children being transported. The driver may make changes in seating, arrange for discipline as it is required, and may take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of his/her bus and its passengers.
- Students must remain seated at all times while the bus is in motion. Students may leave their seats only when the bus is stopped and directed by the driver or stopped at their destination.
- No student shall leave the bus without permission from the driver or school authorities except at the student's regular bus stop or at the school.
- Conduct on the buses will be like classroom conduct except that reasonable conversation is permissible. Inappropriate behavior of any form or manner is not permissible.
- Drivers will report any misconduct on their bus and any disciplinary action they may take to the Principal of the school.
- Students who refuse to comply with regulations will be advised that they may be suspended from transportation services under the conditions set forth in the Suspension/Expulsion policy and regulation at 5114/5114.1 of this manual.
- Students who damage or deface bus or equipment on the bus will be held liable for such damage.
- Conversation with the driver should be limited while the bus is in motion and is only permitted to call the driver's attention to any inappropriate behavior or conduct that might jeopardize the safety of one of its riders.
- Students must not, at any time, extend their arms or heads out of a bus window.
- The use of tobacco, drugs or any controlled substance in any form on a school bus is prohibited by state law.
- No indecent or profane language will be permitted, and there will be no loud or disturbing talking.
- Bus windows shall not be opened without the driver's permission.
- Upon entering or leaving a school bus, students will avoid crowding or disturbing others. Students boarding a bus at a point where others debark from it will always stand back away from the door and let those who are getting off out before they attempt to board the bus.
- The bus must be kept clean, and students must cooperate by not leaving waste paper or trash of any kind that will clutter the bus.
Connecticut General Statutes
10-220 Duties of Boards of Education
10-221 Boards of education to prescribe rules
10-233c Suspension of students
||August 21, 2007
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Download the PDF of this Policy