5122.3 - 1. Elementary and Secondary - B. Progress/Records - (2) Assignment to Teachers and Classes - (c) Assignment of Former Home-Schooled Students to Classes
Series 5000 - Students
1. Elementary and Secondary
(2) Assignment to Teachers and Classes
(c) Assignment of Former Home-Schooled Students to Classes
Home-schooled students who wish to attend school in the district must be tested by an appropriate guidance counselor/teacher/department chairperson/etc., to determine grade level placement. The school officials shall make grade placement after consultation with the parents/guardians, guidance personnel, involved staff members and the Principal or designee. Criteria for final placement shall include past educational experience and successful performance and/or examination at the level of initial assignment. Grades earned during home-schooling shall not be used in determining grade point average, National Honor Society membership, or valedictorian/salutatorian honors.
- A previously home-schooled high school level student may be awarded credits toward high school graduation by demonstrating mastery of the course outcomes by:
- Successfully passing an appropriate examination;
- Providing portfolio/work sample evidence which demonstrates equivalent knowledge or skill; and/or
- Providing documentation of prior learning activities or experiences (e.g., certification of training, hours of instruction, letters, etc.).
Credit approval shall be granted when the student has demonstrated by clear and convincing evidence that he/she has achieved the same level of knowledge as would have been accomplished by successful completion of the district’s course(s) for which credit has been requested.
Connecticut General Statutes
10-221(b) Boards of education to prescribe rules
||September 6, 2011
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Download the PDF of this Policy