4212.5 REG - 2. Non-Certified Personnel - A. Permanent Personnel - (2) Appointment and Conditions of Employment - (e) Security/Credit Check
Series 4000 – Personnel – Certified & Non-Certified
2. Non-Certified Personnel
A. Permanent Personnel
(2) Appointment and Conditions of Employment
(e) Security/Credit Check
Each applicant for a position within the public school system shall be asked whether he/she has ever been convicted of a crime and whether there are any criminal charges pending against him/her at the time of application. Each person hired by the school system shall be required to submit to state and national criminal record checks. In order to process such record checks, the following procedure will be followed:
1. No later than ten calendar days after the Superintendent or his/her designee has notified a job applicant of a decision to hire the applicant, the Superintendent or his/her designee will supply the applicant with a packet containing all documents and materials necessary for the applicant to be fingerprinted by their local police department for submission to the state Department of Public Safety.
2. No later than ten calendar days after the Superintendent or his/her designee has provided the successful job applicant with the fingerprinting packet, the applicant must arrange to be fingerprinted. Failure of the applicant to have his/her fingerprints taken within such ten-day period, without good cause, will be grounds for the withdrawal of the offer of employment.
3. Any person for whom criminal records checks are required to be performed pursuant to this policy must pay all fees and costs associated with the fingerprinting process and/or the submission or processing of the requests for criminal record check.
4. Upon receipt of a criminal record check indicating a previously undisclosed conviction, the Superintendent or his/her designee will notify the affected applicant/employee in writing of the results of the record check and will provide an opportunity for the affected applicant/employee to respond to the results of the criminal record check.
5. Decisions regarding the effect of a conviction upon an applicant/employee, whether disclosed or undisclosed by the applicant/employee, will be made on a case-by-case basis. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the falsification or omission of any information on a job application or in a job interview, including, but not limited to information concerning criminal convictions or pending criminal charges, shall be grounds for disqualification from consideration for employment or discharge from employment.
6. School nurses and nurse practitioners appointed by the Board or under contract with the Board shall also submit to a criminal history check pursuant to Connecticut General Statute 29-17a.
Connecticut General Statutes
10-221d Criminal history records checks of school personnel. Fingerprinting.
Termination or dismissed. (as amended by PA 01-173 and PA 04-181)
29-17a Criminal history checks. Procedure. Fees.
||November 18, 2008
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Download the PDF of this Regulation