4218.51 - 2. Non-Certified Personnel - A. Permanent Personnel - (8) Rights, Responsibilities and Duties - (c) Duties - (iv) Social Networking
Series 4000 – Personnel – Certified & Non-Certified
2. Non-Certified Personnel
A. Permanent Personnel
(8) Rights, Responsibilities and Duties
(iv) Social Networking
The Board of Education recognizes the importance of social media for its employees, and acknowledges that its employees have the right under the First Amendment, in certain circumstances, to speak out on matters of public concern. However, the Superintendent/or his/her designee will regulate the use of social media by employees, including employees’ personal use of social media, when such use:
- interferes with or disturbs the work of the school district,
- is used to harass coworkers or other members of the school community,
- creates a hostile work environment,
- breaches confidentiality obligations of school district employees,
- harms the goodwill and reputation of the school district in the community,
- or violates the law, board policies and/or other school rules and regulations.
The Superintendent with the administration will create and maintain administrative regulations to implement this policy.
Violation of the Board’s policy concerning the use of social media or these administrative guidelines may lead to discipline up to and including the termination of employment consistent with state and federal law.
U.S. Constitution, Amend. 1
Conn. Constitution, Article I, sections 3, 4, 14
Conn. Gen. Stat. § 31-48d
Conn. Gen. Stat § 31-51q
Conn. Gen. Stat § 53a-182; 53a-183; 53a-250
Electronic Communication Privacy Act, 28 U.S.C. §§ 2510 through 2520
||May 17, 2011
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Download the PDF of this Policy