You have 1 PagePop. View
There is an early release on Wednesday, November 22nd.
In observance of Thanksgiving, there is no school on Thursday, November 23rd and Friday, November 24th.
Central office and all school offices are closed.
Series 1000 - Community Relations
1330REG - 3. Public Activities Involving Staff, Students or School Facilities - C. Use of School Facilities
Posted 06/01/2012 01:00PM
Series 1000 – Community Relations
3. Public Activities Involving Staff, Students or School Facilities
C. Use of School Facilities
- All Suffield Public School buildings and grounds are the direct responsibility of the Suffield Board of Education.
- The Director of Facilities will have the responsibility for implementing and coordinating this regulation.
C. Priority Use
- This regulation applies to all applications, internal and external, requesting use of school facilities after school hours, in the evenings and on weekends throughout the year. All applications must be submitted to the Director of Facilities using a Building Use Form. For other than school related groups/organizations, once availability is determined, the Director of Facilities will verify if there are any outstanding fees. The Director of Facilities shall submit copies of each building use form with a notation of whether such uses have been approved to the requestor, school building main office, school district business office, school custodian, police department (if applicable), and fire marshal (if applicable). The district calendar will then be updated by the Director of Facilities. Approval of school facilities by the Director of Facilities may be revoked at any time by the Superintendent or his/her designee. The Board does not support revoking approval but does recognize situations such as snow days, facility renovation/improvement need, exceptional educational opportunity and safety issues that may result in the need to revoke a previous approval. Efforts to resolve any conflicts when revoking is necessary between all parties concerned will be initiated by the Director of Facilities. If a conflict cannot be resolved, the Superintendent or his/her designee shall be the final arbiter.
- A valid Certificate of Insurance, if required, must be received by the Business office or a minimum of $1,000,000 limit on liability insurance (see attached appendix for Ted Beneski Turf Field).
- Groups using the Suffield High/Middle School auditoriums will be required to attend a meeting with a school designated person prior to final approval for the event.
- The Superintendent of Schools may require the applicant to provide proof of nonprofit status and that they are authorized to sign for, and legally enter into, a contract on behalf of the renting organization or agency.
- Custodial presence shall be required whenever facilities are used outside the regular work schedule for custodians (see Section D.2. for fees).
- Technician presence shall be required whenever an auditorium space is used (see Section D.4. for Fees).
- Storage - Storage of items needed specifically for approved events and programs shall be granted based on amount of storage needed and availability of storage space at the time of the event. The Director of Facilities will approve any requests for storage on school property for these events. There will be no additional fees charged for temporary storage. This storage shall not exceed 2 weeks in duration or it will be considered Long Term storage and all rules and fees will apply appropriately.
- All rental fees and custodial charges will be paid to the Suffield Public School Business Office. Hiring and payment arrangements will be made by the Director of Facilities directly with the Suffield Police Department and/or Fire Department if determined to be required.
- When school is canceled due to inclement weather or other emergencies, use of such school facilities shall also be canceled for that day.
- When any cafeteria facility is being rented, the need for a cafeteria representative to be present shall be up to the discretion of the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
- If extra custodial support is needed due to the requested reservation, the custodial fee will be charged to the applicant.
- If the applicant does not give a 24 hour notice of cancellation, a minimum two hour charge for custodial services will be billed to the applicant.
- The Superintendent of schools shall have the authority to waive any charges in part or in-total.
- The Suffield Board of Education will recognize and schedule without conflict wherever possible the use of school buildings and grounds (except the Ted Beneski turf field) in the following priority order:
- School Use
- Suffield Parks and Recreation
- Other Suffield Municipal Department or Agency
- School, Child, or Education-related Non-Profit Organization or Agency
- Suffield Non-Profit Service Organization or Agency
- Other Non-Profit Organization or Agency
- Other as approved by the Superintendent or his/her designee
- Priority for use of the Ted Beneski Turf Field is as follows:
- School Use
- In-season sport for Suffield organizations
- Out-season sport for Suffield organizations
- Non-resident organizations
- Applications should be submitted four months prior to the event. Any applications received greater than four months out may get cancelled by priority. Any group requesting an event date after the four month window will not be able to bump any other group already booked. Any application received within 2 weeks of an event may be rejected based on the discretion of the Director of Facilities.
D. Charges for Non-School Use
- Rental Fee
- There will be no rental charge for any non-school use (except the Ted Beneski turf field) scheduled by applicants described in Sections C.1.a - C.1.f. above.
- There will be a rental charge for any non-school use scheduled by applicants described in Section C.1.f and C.1.g. above, as follows:
|Ted Beneski Field
Or at the discretion of the Superintendent and/or his/her designee.
- Custodial Charge
- All Schools
Custodial presence shall be required and a custodial fee charged to all applicants and users in Sections C.1.d through C.1.g. above. The Director of Facilities will determine the number of hours required per event and the custodial rate will be applied accordingly.
- Custodial Rate
The Business Office will establish the custodial hourly rate on an annual basis. There will be a minimum custodial charge of two hours when applicable.
- Technician Charge
- Technician presence shall be required and a fee charged to all applicants using the Suffield High School/Middle School auditorium.
- The business office will be a minimum Technician charge of two hours when applicable.
- Police Charge
- When police presence is required by local, state, or other regulation/code, the charge will be paid by the user.
- The Superintendent of Schools will have the right to require a police presence even if not required by Section D.3.a. above and the charge will be paid by the user.
- The hourly police charge will be established by the Suffield Police Department
- The facility is to be used only on the date and time specified for the purpose(s) listed on approved application.
- Alcoholic beverages will not be brought onto or consumed on school property.
- Groups or organizations owing money to the Board for previous school facilities use will not be eligible for future school facility use until the indebtedness is satisfied.
- Supplies or equipment belonging to the renting organization may not be stored on school proper without advanced written permission.
- Use of school owned property or equipment (e.g., audiovisual, musical, stage props, etc.) is not permitted without advanced written permission. A damage deposit may be required.
- Smoking is prohibited on school property.
- No food or refreshments are to be served or consumed unless specifically detailed on the application prior to approval.
- Parking shall be limited to permitted areas only, violations will be enforced with applicable penalties and towing if deemed to be in the best interest of safety.
- Organizations having caused damage during a previous school facility use may not be eligible for future school facility rental.
- No food or drink will be allowed in the auditorium (performing arts center) or gymnasium.
- Renters are responsible for costs associated with damages, including attorney fees.
||October 6, 1998
||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS
November 25, 2003
September 2, 2008
April 28, 2009
June 7, 2011
November 20, 2012
September 17, 2013
Download the PDF of this Policy