1250.1 - 2. Participation by the Public - F. Visits to the Schools - (a) Classroom Observations
Series 1000 – Community Relations
2. Participation by the Public
F. Visits to the Schools
(a) Classroom Observations
The Suffield Public Schools has as its highest priority, the safety and the welfare of its students and staff. The Suffield Board of Education welcomes purposeful observations of classes by parents and other interested members of the community. The Board recognizes its responsibility to insure that students may learn in an educational environment free of unnecessary disruption and distractions and to provide a school environment that is safe for staff and students alike. In the interest of protecting the welfare of students and staff, preserving the privacy rights of students, minimizing disruptions to the learning process and maintaining order and security on its premises, the following guidelines have been established for observations:
- All observers will be governed by visitation expectations of Policy #1250.
- Anyone wishing to observe a class must contact the administration of the school prior to the observation and provide the name of the observer and purpose of the observation. Outside evaluators are required to provide their phone number, address and professional credentials. Whenever possible, a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours' notice should be provided.
- In addressing requests for classroom observation, the administration will consider its responsibility to avoid disruption to the learning environment and learning benefit of students and minimizing distractions and disruptions to the learning process.
- Requests to observe a class shall not be unreasonably withheld; however administration may deny or place limitations on observations to ensure the integrity and benefit of the educational process for teachers and students. If an observation is denied, alternate avenues to achieve the purpose, if available, should be suggested and/or arranged.
|Policy Adopted: ||January 19, 2016||SUFFIELD PUBLIC SCHOOLS|
| ||Suffield, Connecticut|
Download the PDF of this Policy