Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SPED PAC) Purpose
We invite you to participate in our Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SPED PAC). SPED PAC’s purpose is to:
- Learn about district program & topics in special education and general education as determined by parents.
- Advise the district as information & data is shared.
- Provide support for parents through networking with other parents; sharing community activities and resources.
- Make the school to home learning connection – what literacy, numeracy and/or social and emotional supports are used in school and how can those strategies be supported at home.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q- How can I learn more about what is happening in the district?
A – Join SPED PAC or contact a district staff member. See flyer in the document section below or submit your email address below.
Q- How can I get support from other parents who may have a similar experience?
A - Join SPED PAC and/or contact our SPED PAC chair Doriana Vicedomini:
Q- When should I contact a supervisor of special education?
A – Feel free to contact a special education supervisor anytime you have a question. It’s always best to start with your child’s teacher or special education case management, but our supervisors or the Assistant Superintendent in charge of both curriculum & special services are here to help as well.
Director of Special Services
Supervisor of Special Education
Subscribe to Special Services Alerts
You can subscribe to receive alerts via e-mail, SMS, or text when information is posted to this site about upcoming support groups, clinics, camps, and other useful resources. Please login or register to the learning management system (LMS) and select the "Special Services" news category. Click here to subscribe to alerts
Suffield Public School Documents
Suffield Reading Overview K - 12 - PDF
SPED PAC Meetings
- 20 minute presentations on topics generated by parents and focused on the Planning & Placement Team Process.
- Time for questions – this facet of the meeting is intended to generate a dialogue related to the topic of the presentation. It may also generate topic that can be presented in future meeting presentations.
- Time for networking and sharing school, community or state wide resources – A primary purpose of the Special Education Parent Action Council is to help parents gain access to support provided through networking with other parents or through gaining information regarding social and recreational opportunities for students as well as learning more about community and agency resources.
- Business items – agenda development/topic selection We hope to close each meeting with a sense of the topics and resources that will be shared at the next meeting. In addition we devote some portion of each meeting to planning and discussion relative to evening program planning that usually occurs twice each year.
We encourage ALL parents including those whose children receive services from Suffield Special Services to attend the meetings.
District administrators attend each meeting. This will provide you with an opportunity to build relationships and connection with our leadership team.